Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blog Post # 8

In the videos "This is How We Dream" by Richard E. Miller he makes the points that there is an ever expanding base of knowledge at the fingertips of students, and the public in general.  He points out how these new tools can be used to do more collaborative projects with people from around the world.

If these tools are available then we as educators need to be able to use the different forms of multi-media that are out there to help prepare our students to succeed in the ever-changing world of  technology.  I personally think that I would be able to implement the use of multi-media into a Paper/Project, and that I would be able to use it effectively(whether that true or not I'm not sure).

I hope that if it becomes necessary for me teach kindergarten- third graders how to use multi-media in researching and writing a paper that I would be able to help them do the job.  I think that the way all of these technologies are changing that there is a possibility that some day the system will catch up with it and then these tools will be available to the students.  Then as teachers these tools will be available to us to help our students expand their horizons.  I think that the biggest problem with using multi-media would be getting the school systems to change and use the technology.  Once this happens the way we view school and teaching will be forever changed.


In the two videos "The Chipper Series" and "EDM 310 for Dummies" the videos were presented in a humorous way.  The main thing that I would like to do in any video that I produce is keep it funny and entertaining.  In the videos that I would make I would like to also make the videos more geared toward children and their interests.  Maybe an art project with paper mache, something to gather their interest and something that I could use to connect with the kids.  This would get the kids interested and allow me to entertain the children while they are learning something, anything.

In the video "Learn to Change, Change to Learn" presented by the Pearson Foundation, the arguments that were presented in the video were persuasive because they were given by educators.  There is a real need for society to change the way kids are being taught in schools today.  There was one teacher (around the four minute mark) that stated kids need to know how to find information and be able to authenticate it.  I could not agree with him more, today I can find out anything I want to know from my phone, so why are we trying to get our children to learn these facts when they can look them up in the same amount of time.

 
In the two videos , "The Secret Powers of Time" by Philip Zambardo and "Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us "
by David Pink the ideas given to us in them were really surprising and interesting to say the least.

In "The Secret Powers of Time"  we learned about the different ways that people look at the world today, and how that effects the way we veiw our world. I thought that this was fascinating, to see how we view our own measure of time and how it effects the outcome of our own daily lives.  In the future I will try to be a more future oriented thinker.

In the video "Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us" there have been studies shown that money is not the biggest motivating factor for most people in the world.  It shows that to truly motivate people they need autonomy, mastery, and purpose.  Autonomy simply states that  people generally want to be self directed. Mastery is the need to work on a skill for the sole purpose of improving that skill.  Purpose is the idea that people want to be working on something that will matter.  I think that all of these points are true, but my boss has not, nor will he ever see this video.  So, I will have to wait until I'm out of svhool to see if any of these motivations are true.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully we can all be ready to write with multimedia! I sure hope that I will be able to use this type of teaching.

    I think,like you mentioned, keeping videos fun and entertaining are great ways to keep the attention of children.

    Certainly we can see that money is not what all of us want, especially those of us that are wanting to be teachers!

    Good post Jordan!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jordan that as teachers we need to be able to teach our students whatever technology is available to them. I think you are right that eventually the schools will be able to catch up and once they do it will change the education system. It is great that you are so confident with being able to teach technology. I am still a little intimidated. Keep up the good work!

    Molly Dekin

    ReplyDelete