Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Post # 6

The Networked Student

I found this video to be interesting and informative. It demonstrates the power of technology on the learning of todays student. It also tells of the many steps and tools a student can use and take to become well informed on the subject that one is researching. It also tells how a student can provide links to the research that they have done so that their research can be used by others.

The question was posed "Are you prepared to teach a networked student". To this any one of the students in school today should answer "I had better learn to be".  Because it is becoming more and more necessary for teachers to be current on todays technologies and current research on the subjects that they are going to be teaching. a teacher today must have a vast "PLN".

However, I think that the video takes away the importance of what a teacher should be. According to this video a teacher is a person that gives the student tools to find the answers for himself, but I think a teacher should also be readily available to give the students more guidance than this video leads us to believe is being given. Granted one tends to retain knowledge that one has to earn (research), but some students learn from the knowledge of their teachers also. Once I become a teacher, I will try to tread the fine line between giving my students the tools to learn and learning the subjects for them.

A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment 


In this video I learned many new things about organizing my tools that I will need to use while expanding my PLN.  I found it interesting how she was able to set up her personal network with all of her sources easily accessible and able to give credit to all sources to avoid plagiarism.  This will be a helpful video for making my own PLN more professional looking, and still be able to keep up with my social networks like Facebook.


Critiques of Smartboards

In these two blogs both men feel that smartboards are a waste of money and are of no benefit to the children or teachers.  Given the points that are made I can't see any fault in their arguments, but I have not had the opportunity to use one let alone in a classroom setting.  Once I have the chance to use one I will better be able to determine my own feelings on their usefulness in todays schools.  They also both make the point that it is just something for administrators can spend money on without knowing if they are even helping a child or teacher in the process of learning.
  
http://teacherslovesmartboards.com
   

1 comment:

  1. I loved what you said about the idea of giving students the tools to learn but not learning for them. This is where so many teachers mess up. I know that I had countless classes growing up that used the "burp back" system as Dr. Strange would say.
    I also agree that the men in the Smart video made valid points; however from personal experience I feel that these boards are very useful.

    ReplyDelete