Friday, April 22, 2011

C4K#3 Summary #7, #8, #9, & #10


In this C4K I was assigned to the Geeking XC tryouts section of Mr. McClung's blog. In the blog he told of the tryouts for the Cross Country running team at Woodland Jr. High School. I commented that I had at one time used to run, but that was 17 years ago. Now the only time that I run is when someone is chasing me. I told him that I was not going to make the tryouts, because I felt that they might be better off with the younger runners that are still in shape.

The student that I was assigned for my eighth comment was named Ellie. On her blog, she had what looked to be screen savers that she had posted to her blog. The latest one was what appeared to be a fish tank with several different types of fish swimming across the screen. I told her that I liked her blog and asked her if she likes fish, or if there is any significance to the post of the fish tank. I then left my blog address and told her to feel free to check out my blog.

After looking at Mrs. Yollis' blog I was excited about the possibilities that a blog can bring to the classroom. I thought that she really had the kids excited about the lessons that were being taught. I really liked the large map of Asia that they had and how the kids got to interact with the facts that they were learning. I also found it very neat how the kids were interacting with a class in Australia, while they were doing this the kids got a "headfake" lesson on the similarities and differences that the two classes had. I liked how she put the conversion chart on the blog from metric to U.S. standard so the kids were learning this while not even being taught. I also like that the children get to post some of their projects on the blog, like the "gal" that got to show everyone the proper way to take photos using a digital camera. All in all, Mrs. Yollis has a blog that any teacher can be proud of.
My comment on the "Family Blogging Month" gave me the opportunity to connect with the kids and that is one of my favorite aspects of this class. I went on their and tried to relate to them and let them know that I have two daughters in third grade, and a son that is in fifth grade. I let them know that i was a student learning how to use computers to make school more fun. I then went on to tell them how lucky they were to have Mrs. Yollis as their teacher because she was already using the things that we are just know learning to use. I told them that they were learning stuff that even I don't know how to do, and they should keep up the good work. I asked them to stop by my blog and give me some "pointers" to make it better and told them they should go by the class blog and say hi to Dr. Strange.


The student that I was assigned to for my tenth comment for kids was named Jaden form Mrs. Yollis' third grade class. In his blog he talked about an L.A. Clippers game that he had recently went to. In it he gave the score by quarter and asked how many points were scored in the third quarter. He then asked if I had been to see any Clippers games. I told him that I had been to one back in 1989 when I was living in Atlanta. In my final paragraph, I gave him a question that maybe he would answer for me, Who was the only NBA player to score 100 points in a game, and how many points did he average per quarter to reach that mark? I thought that this would make it easier to start a correspondence, if I gave him some common ground that we both shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment