Monday, April 11, 2011

Blog Post # 11

In this video it showed a first grade class in Canada using technology in their classroom. I was thoroughly impressed with the amount that they were using the computers at such a young age. I really enjoyed how they talked about how the technology was able to help them with many aspects of their education process like reading and writing. I also was really surprised at how they were able to use their Nintendo DS's in the process of learning. I didn't even know that they were used for anything beyond Super Mario, so these kids are at least one up on me.

It really showed me how far all the different technologies can be taken in the classroom, and not just computers. But, the problem is and always will be funding. As slow as the american school system is to change their ways, getting them to fund the purchase of any new technologies,let alone gaming systems will not be in our future in the near future. However this has opened my eyes to look for other ways to make learning more of a game that the kids will enjoy and keep them interested in the process of learning new skills with technology that they will be able to use along their journey through life.


In the Skype interview with Ms. Cassidy one could really tell the great amount of care that she had for her students, and the excitement she has for the leaps that are being made with the use of technology in the classroom. I was very proud of her stance for the use of technology to help her students even when she faced opposition from some administrators, even then she could see the positive role that computers would play in her students learning process. She makes a good point about how now, while we are in school, is the time to learn the different technologies and how to use the in a classroom.

When she started talking about how we can use blogs for posting assignments, it was really eye opening. I was a bit skeptical with the idea of using Facebook with students, only because of the possible misunderstandings that usually arise and because of the recent issues that have come out in the news involving teachers/students and Facebook. However I really liked how she is coaching the children on the responsible way to use the internet, and how to stay safe and secure. The way she was being protective of the students safety and identity was great, it is one of the main fears that I would have.

3 comments:

  1. I really like how you touched on the issue of funding. Technology is wonderful and I definitely agree that it should be woven into the curriculum, but sometimes it is just unrealistic due to funding. Also, not all schools have affluent families who can afford to buy a computer for their children to use at home. I also mentioned the issue of funding in my post because I think it’s a huge roadblock. I also agree with your admiration for Ms. Cassidy when she faced opposition from administrators. I think it’s important that we all stand up for what we know will be best for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to know that I am not the only one that thinks about how much funding effects what we will really be able to use in the classroom. The safety responsibility she teaches should make the parents of her students feel very secure also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really like to expand the facebook topic into a class conversation one day-- i feel like there are some transparency issues that we could tackle along side open communication policies that we could consider. Anyhow, good post!

    ReplyDelete